Earlier this year, one of the spiritual father’s in my life said that he felt I should build something.
As I heard him say this I knew that he was correct. But What?
We talked about a school of leadership or a church plant, and whilst they have great attraction, they do not fit my current season.
SENT and SEND
Many of you know that the words of Jesus recorded in John chapter 20 have been important to me.
“As the Father sent me so I send you.” John 20: 21.
I have used this verse and even taken the phrases ‘sent and send’ for a social media name, and have been writing a book with the working title: SENT.
As I studied the context of this verse it became clear to me that it had a greater relevance for my ministry and the days in which we live than I had previously seen.
THE VERSE and CONTEXT
The context for John 20: 19 – 23, is the evening of the first day of the week. In other words, the very first resurrection Sunday. The disciples are locked in a room, for fear of the Jews.
1.They were afraid, with a city in chaos after a most dramatic weekend.
2.Their way of life had been dramatically removed from them. They had been travelling with Jesus for 3 years, they had left careers, what would they now do?
3. They felt powerless as they watched the one who raised the dead, die himself.
4. They had been betrayed by one of their closest friends and watched him betray their leader, and friend.
WHAT JESUS DID.
And into that scenario, Jesus appeared. He as always had the answer for all four of these questions and fears, even if they hadn’t been articulated.
In four statements, the resurrected Jesus declared the answers to what had not been asked.
1. Twice He says ‘Peace be with you.’ This is the reminder of the peace mandate, there at His birth, continued through His ministry and now still the answer to the chaotic world.
2. Next we hear Jesus giving the mandate of being SENT. Their fears of loss of purpose and way of life are answered as Jesus commissions them to continue the work.
3. Next he empowers them. Paul would later write that the same spirit which raised Jesus from the dead, dwells in us, Romans 8:11, and here we have Jesus saying to the disciples, “receive the Holy Spirit.” Was that power now activated in a new way, whatever the reason for the timing, it answered their feeling of powerlessness and reminded them of what they had already seen.
4. Finally He instructs them to forgive, teaching them of the power of forgiveness for themselves and those that they forgive.
BUILD A MOVEMENT of SENT ONES.
I wish I could tell you that I heard an audible voice, but I did sense a deep confirmation of a theme of my life. I want every believer to know that they are sent. That in a sense we are sent twice. Sent once as Jesus said, but then to be sent again through the church into the world to expand the influence of King Jesus, whoever we are, whatever we do, where ever we go.
I can only put it this way: I want to continue the movement that Jesus started that first resurrection Sunday night. The context is so similar and the words of Jesus still contain everything we need.
The world feels chaotic, many feel a loss of purpose and are looking for something more, it is easy to feel powerless as we watch and experience the frailty of life oil earth, and many are disappointed feeling betrayed and let down by others.
It is not so much about starting a movement, but fuelling one that is already started. Giving focus for everyone to see that they carry peace into a chaotic world, can find purpose as they embrace the words of Jesus, have access to all the power that they need, and that their souls can participate in the reconciliation of all humanity.
MANDATE for a MOVEMENT
1. FOR EVERY BELIEVER TO KNOW THEY ARE SENT, WALKING IN CONFIDENCE, IDENTITY & AUTHORITY: Whoever they are, whatever they do, wherever they go.
2. FOR THE CHURCH TO BE A COMMUNITY WHO ENCOUNTER GOD, BECOME FAMILY AND TRAIN, EQUIP AND SEND TO BRING CHANGE TO THE WORLD
3. FOR EVERY CHURCH LEADER TO KNOW HOW TO LEAD BIG PEOPLE
4. TO ERASE THE SECULAR/SACRED DIVIDE, BRIDGE THE US & THEM & MARRY THE NATURAL & SUPERNATURAL
5. TAKE HEAVENS CULTURE (DIVINE NATURE) AND DIVINE POWER INTO EVERY SPHERE & REALM
6. TO EMPOWER AN ARMY IN PURSUIT OF REVIVAL, A NEW RENAISSANCE, AND REFORMATION OF SOCIETY
7. TO BELIEVE OUR STORIES KNOWING THAT GOD WASTES NOTHING AND GETS US READY
WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE
1. An online SENT & SEND COMMUNITY of like minded christians, who know that they are sent into their sphere of influence to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to earth.
2. A monthly SENT and SEND online SCHOOL. This will be an ongoing school, which can be joined at any time, with access to recordings of previous months.
3. SENT and SEND RESOURCES. I will be particularly focussing on leadership development and purpose discovery alongside many other existing resources which I am making available.
My website is currently being redeveloped, and will link paulmanwaring.com to a sentandsend domain.
I am planning to relaunch in October/November 2022 with introductory SCHOOL webinars in November and December before launching the 2023 curriculum in January 2023.
My desire is to make this widely available and so I will be offering a subscription price of £10 per month.
I look forward to you being a part of SENT and SEND